Sue O'Connell, a nationally recognized expert in effective math instruction, takes viewers into third through sixth grade classrooms and joins classroom teachers in demonstrating a wide variety of strategies that actively engage students in language-rich math learning.
Viewers learn how to:
Watch an excerpt from this PD Resource Kit:
- build a foundation of mathematical language that directly influences written language development
- scaffold upper elementary students' math learning through teacher-directed questions, models and demonstrations
- engage children, grades 3-6, in vocabulary activities that increase their word knowledge, enhance their understanding of math concepts, and enable them to communicate more clearly in writing
- strengthen students' ability to use writing for a variety of purposes within math instruction and reinforcement activities
- incorporate different types of writing to strengthen third through sixth grade students' skills in organization, representation, and communication of mathematical thinking
- teach students the characteristics of effective math writing and provide feedback in time-efficient ways
- directly involve students in discussing, scoring and revising their own writing to enhance their math communication skills
There are no reviews for this course at this time.