This online course features Nancy Friday, a highly skilled speech-language pathologist and national presenter. The course is divided into three modules. The first module provides a background on English Language Learners (ELLs), highlighting the differences between bilingual and monolingual students and offering best practices for supporting ELLs. The second module presents a four-quadrant approach for language assessment, and in the final module, Nancy demonstrates how to utilize that assessment data to differentiate language disorders from language differences.
You will learn how to:
- Differentiate between a language disorder and a language difference
- Administer standardized assessments as well as informative non-standardized assessments
- Discern facts from myths regarding second language acquisition
- Explain how an ELLs' morphology and syntax interplays with their academic performance
- Apply techniques to enhance engagement and active participation during therapy
- Utilize language therapy techniques and methods to embrace ELLs
Watch an excerpt from this course:
Optional Professional Organization CEUs are available for this course.
Click here for more information.
ASHA-Required Disclosure Statement for Nancy Friday:
Financial: Consultant for the Bureau of Education & Research and receives honorarium compensation.
Nonfinancial: No relevant nonfinancial relationships exist.
There are no reviews for this course at this time.