How can today's primary teachers most effectively use independent centers to enhance students' literacy growth? In this course, you will see a wealth of activities and ideas "in action" within K-3 classrooms. Literacy center expert Linda Holliman explains and demonstrates practical ways to manage center work and greatly increase the value of students' independent literacy time.
The activities and strategies in this course will enhance students' literacy learning no matter what approach to reading instruction you are implementing.
You will learn how to:
- directly reinforce essential literacy skills
- provide students with engaging visual-tactile activities that move them forward as readers and writers
- promote long-term retention of key learning through ongoing practice
- strengthen student independence and accountability for high quality work while increasing teacher time for small group instruction
- differentiate independent reading and writing activities
- stretch students' ability to apply literacy skills and strategies they've been taught
Watch an excerpt from this course:
"I really like the On-Demand format rather than the online classes that require participation in group discussions. The videos are short and show kids using the resources, a much better teaching tool than a straight lecture. I learned a lot!"
– M. Merrifield
"I found the information very useful. This past year was my first time trying centers. After listening and thinking about the modules presented, I have a better idea of how I want to implement centers in the fall!"
– K. Carbone
"A wealth of ideas. I can't wait to get in my room and reorganize, plan, and create meaningful activities for my students. Thank you. I am excited about all of the ways I can take this information and use it with my curriculum."
– L. Jacobsmeyer
"The activities were very adaptable for a classroom. The tangible materials are readily available in my classroom. All activities related to my students' needs and skill level. Thank you!"
– H. McCarthy
"I am a first grade teacher and often times struggle to find engaging activities/centers for students while I am working with my guided reading groups. I found the information in this online course to not only be helpful but easy to implement."
– K. Crowdis
"This was an EXCELLENT course - my favorite so far. Great ideas, good to see it in action. Lots of time given for each grade."
– L. Durand