Early intervention plays a vital role in addressing the needs of primary-age struggling readers. This online learning course focuses on practical, easy-to-implement intervention strategies for strengthening children's understanding of what they are reading – all in the highly supportive context of small group instruction. Filmed in primary grade classrooms, students will see teachers demonstrate strategies ideal for increasing the comprehension of struggling readers in any approach to reading instruction.
You will learn key practices for maximizing small group intervention within any approach to reading instruction, including helping struggling readers be successful right from the start, effectively coaching them to greater understanding as they read, and guiding students to make connections and think beyond the text in ways that deepen and enrich their comprehension.
You will learn how to:
- hone in on specific learning needs and target interventions for maximum comprehension growth
- easily assess students’ comprehension using engaging conversation techniques
- use time-efficient text introduction strategies to give students a head start on comprehension
- coach students to greater understanding as they read by scaffolding them at the cutting edge of their learning
- expand students’ familiarity with a range of text structures and features to develop their overall skills as readers
- incorporate lessons with tangible objects to make higher-level comprehension skills more accessible for primary struggling readers
- engage students in beyond-the-text activities that stimulate their thinking and extend their comprehension as an integral part of small group intervention
Watch an excerpt from this course:
There are no reviews for this course at this time.