Early intervention plays a vital role in addressing the needs of primary-age struggling readers. This online learning course focuses on practical, easy-to-implement intervention strategies for strengthening children's understanding of what they are reading – all in the highly supportive context of small group instruction. Filmed in primary grade classrooms, students will see teachers demonstrate strategies ideal for increasing the comprehension of struggling readers in any approach to reading instruction.
You will learn key practices for maximizing small group intervention within any approach to reading instruction, including helping struggling readers be successful right from the start, effectively coaching them to greater understanding as they read, and guiding students to make connections and think beyond the text in ways that deepen and enrich their comprehension.
You will learn how to:
- hone in on specific learning needs and target interventions for maximum comprehension growth
- easily assess students’ comprehension using engaging conversation techniques
- use time-efficient text introduction strategies to give students a head start on comprehension
- coach students to greater understanding as they read by scaffolding them at the cutting edge of their learning
- expand students’ familiarity with a range of text structures and features to develop their overall skills as readers
- incorporate lessons with tangible objects to make higher-level comprehension skills more accessible for primary struggling readers
- engage students in beyond-the-text activities that stimulate their thinking and extend their comprehension as an integral part of small group intervention
Watch an excerpt from this course:
"I loved this course! I was able to learn many activities to use in my classroom to build reading comprehension. I am excited to go back to school to use what I have learned in this course because I know I can better build my students reading skills."
- T. Mongan
"This course featured great strategies that are easy to implement with any text!"
- J. Brazee
"I really appreciate that all the strategies presented are things I can implement tomorrow with my learners! This course provided me some great ideas to help my students (and myself) dig deeper into a text. Very helpful!"
- T. Blue
"This was terrific. I wish I had attended at the beginning of the year! So many good ideas for small group interventions! The action plan helped me to make a list of idea I could implement right away."
- J. Hoagland