This online course features veteran educator, international speaker and author - Chick Moorman. Chick shares his restorative approach to discipline and provides dozens of strategies and techniques to prevent disruptive behavior and teach appropriate behavior. The course focuses on clearly defining restorative discipline, breaking down the building blocks of restorative discipline, which include: relationships, structure, quality instruction, de-escalation, preacebuilding, and accountability. The course also features an extensive section on explicitly teaching interpersonal skills to improve students’ behavior. Additionally, Chick focuses on verbal skills to help resolve conflicts and prevent escalation of events.
You will learn how to:
- Improve students behavior by using practical and classroom-tested restorative discipline strategies
- Build a restorative mindset that emphasizes getting well rather than getting even
- Help students resolve conflicts and take ownership of their behavior
- Implement necessary corrective discipline procedures without resorting to unrelated and unreasonable consequences
- Avoid escalation of power struggles using alternatives to increased force and control
- Explicitly teach interpersonal skills to help students learn appropriate behavior
- Help students re-enter the classroom when suspension is absolutely necessary to ensure minimal disruption to learning
Watch an excerpt from this course:
"I really enjoyed the information shared in this class. Not only was the information useful it was something I could easily start using myself. Also the instructor was entertaining. "
- M. Cook
"I really value the helpful techniques presented for improving interpersonal relationships and growth of learners in academic and social issues. I especially gained insight from Chip's verbal use of positive phrases and looking forward (not back) when dealing with discipline issues. I will use them in and outside of my classroom to help foster better relationships with each student as I teach them foreign language."
- H. Quella
"This is exactly what I was looking for. This is a great resource as our school is working to become trauma informed. Thank you! "
- K. Simonsen
"I appreciated that he provided examples and space for us to have access to the materials he used during the course for a reference in the future."
- M. Wick
"The instructor was very informative with the definition of discipline as it relates in the school learning environment. Each module reinforced the definition of restoration discipline in a well planned thought provoking concepts for educators to implement practice in their school setting."
- T. Ballinger