Directly teaching vocabulary improves reading comprehension and increases subject area achievement. This course takes you inside classrooms, grades 6-12, where teachers are using highly engaging instructional strategies to help students commit vocabulary to long-term memory and deepen their understanding of course content.
The purpose of this course is to demonstrate strategies that easy to implement, flexible and well-suited to the demands of secondary classrooms. The techniques are effective across a wide range of subject areas and terms. You will see a wealth of practical ways to strengthen students’ vocabulary development using linguistic and nonlinguistic representations, including drawing and graphic organizers.
You will learn how to:
- Incorporate effective vocabulary instruction in a variety of ways, ranging from opening bell work to concept building
- Strengthen students’ vocabulary development using nonlinguistic representations, including drawing and graphic organizers
- Maximize participation and address a range of secondary student learning needs and interests
- Engage students in meaningful vocabulary practice to anchor words in long-term memory
- Harness the power of word walls to build vocabulary, develop concepts and increase student achievement across a variety of subject areas
Watch an excerpt from this course:
"I really liked the organization of the videos, the content, and resources. I enjoyed the format of the video course because I could review what I heard and listen again. I took lots of notes but the action plan helped me to focus my ideas on how I would implement it in the classroom."
– B. Kirsten
"I enjoyed this course and the strategies that I learned from it."
– S. Wuest
"This course was very informative. A positive aspect of it is that it is online and an educator can view it whenever and where ever."
– E. Beslagic
"I thought the video examples were fantastic! I plan to use many of these in my classes."
– A. Shenton
"I received a lot useful of information & techniques that I can use to teach foreign language. I think these strategiies will accelerate learning in my classes by strengthening the students vocabulary skills."
– A. Patrick
"I was engaged in the video and enjoyed how the content was explained theoretically and reinforced with the practical component. Seeing how the activities are used in the classroom was helpful to process how I will make changes with my current activities."
– L. Villegas
"I thought this was an excellent course! Extremely practical! I liked the way I could pause the presentation and think about the information as I needed to."
– J. Olson