In this highly engaging video-based Online course, you’ll learn a wealth of effective ways to help your students master the rigorous science and engineering practices, disciplinary core ideas and crosscutting concepts incorporated in the Next Generation Science Standards. Beginning with developing a deeper understanding of the vision of the new standards, you will discover clear pathways for blending the NGSS into your current science instruction.
The purpose of this course is to show how to integrate the three dimensions of the Next Generation Science Standards into engaging instructional sequences that will motivate students and maximize their learning of the new standards. You will receive a wealth of innovative ideas for including engineering, reading, writing, and math in your science instruction that will enhance your students’ ability to master the essential skills and concepts included in the NGSS.
You will learn how to:
- The key components of the Next Generation Science Standards
- Highly effective techniques to incorporate the NGSS into your own secondary science classroom
- Proven ways to significantly increase student motivation in learning science
- Practical examples of how to develop instructional strategies that help students develop critical thinking and problem-solving skills necessary for engineering
- Effective strategies to strengthen student understanding of complex science phenomena using crosscutting concepts
- Concrete ways to strengthen your science instruction using the science and engineering practice of modeling
- Well-established methods to immerse students in real-world science scenarios to increase motivation and learning and incorporate science and engineering practices
Watch an excerpt from this course:
"I think the course is invaluable to anyone who is trying to align their curriculum to the NGSS. It was very informative and made the ocean of information around the NGSS more organized in my head and more accessible to what its intent for implementation is."
- B. Lucas
"This course has shifted my entire focus on how to engage students in learning science and engineering. I look forward to allowing students to help develop curriculum and instructional ideas."
- B. Bahar
"I have been attempting to implement the next generation science standards (NGSS) into my classroom for about two years. I have taken several courses this course was the first one that made me excited and comfortable about my implementation plan. The action plan provided for me time to go over what I learned in each module and reflect on what I am going to do to implement this in my classroom this year. I am grateful I spent the money and excited to put some of my plans into action."
- V. Tate
"I felt it was easy to follow and paused at appropriate sections to allow for time to get organized. I am excited to put these standards into my curriculum."
- J. Frey
"I enjoyed this self-paced course. I felt like I was there in person. The resources were extremely helpful."
- V. Looper