This video-based professional development course demonstrates ways to manage highly productive learning situations, use intervention strategies to quickly address off-task student behavior, and implement a problem-solving approach to discipline.
There is a strong connection between active engagement in learning and positive student behavior. You’ll watch classroom teachers in action as they create productive learning situations that promote student participation. You’ll see intermediate grade students actively participating in a number of highly engaging activities designed to reduce classroom conflicts by developing their problem-solving abilities. You’ll learn practical intervention strategies for re-directing off-task behavior that may still occur despite a teacher’s best efforts.
You will learn how to:
- Manage materials and resources to increase time on task
- Organize students to work in ways that increase their productivity
- Actively monitor students’ work efforts to reduce off-task behavior
- Develop management routines that enhance students’ learning
- Use grouping configurations that promote student participation
- Reduce conflict and develop students’ problem-solving skills
- Use class meetings to engage students in solving problems
- Implement simple intervention strategies to address off-task behavior before it escalates
Watch an excerpt from this course:
"I love the video clips, they are so useful and I will be referring to the clips many times during the year."
– K. Marlow-Torres
"I loved this course! The activities presented can easily be taken and applied immediately. I especially loved the activities demonstrated in the classroom."
– T. Dixon
"I enjoyed the course and found it very convenient to take at home. The resources were wonderful, and directions to complete course simple and easy to follow."
– S. Hasenkamp
"Thank you for providing on-demand courses. I love that I can go at my own pace, watch a video a second time, or pause to take notes. My favorite part is that I can see things modeled in a real classroom setting with students and teachers."
– L. Pelech
"I really enjoyed this course and found the information very well explained and the video clips very helpful."
– P. Brandt