This course will help you implement a wide variety of fluency-boosting lessons, strategies, and activities for primary-grade students. You’ll see experienced primary teachers working directly with young students, demonstrating ways to improve children’s reading rate, expression, phrasing, and intonation.
The course includes time-effective ways to assess fluency skills and a variety of specific lessons on text clues, phrasing, emphasis, and expression. These fluency activities can be integrated very easily into existing reading instruction and will help you better meet the literacy needs of your primary grade-level students.
You will learn how to:
- effectively model and teach components of fluent reading during daily read-aloud
- maximize students' classroom oral reading with a focus on fluency growth
- strengthen students’ reading expression, intonation and phrasing using highly engaging echo and choral reading strategies
- assess students' reading fluency in practical, easy-to-implement ways
- boost specific skills of fluency with targeted, direct instruction
- motivate students to increase their reading fluency through engagement in different types of performance-style reading activities
- make optimal use of focused mini-lessons on text clues, phrasing, emphasis, and expression
Watch an excerpt from this course:
"Great course and strategies! Easy to start implementing in class."
– G. Mendoza
"I loved this class. It was excellent and full of great ideas that I can't wait to try in my first grade classroom. Thank you!"
– C. Swindell
"Fantastic new ideas for teaching fluency in very practical ways."
– C. Valdivieso
"I really enjoyed the tips and teaching strategies. It was nice to see them in action too!"
– L. Pleasanton
"I thought there was a lot of great ideas/activities to teach my students fluency. I have already implemented a few in my classroom and my students enjoyed them all! I plan on using these teaching tools to help my students become fluent readers."
– D. Anderson
"This was just the course I needed to give me some fresh new tricks to teach fluency in a more guided approach!"
– J. Miller
"This course was very eye opening and helpful. As a first grade teacher Fluency is so important. I loved how it had real life videos of teachers teaching students. I will be incorporating many of these strategies and activities into my classroom and I can't wait!"
– B. Preimesberger