This online course features experienced NGSS educator and national presenter, Marjorie Porter, as she shares practical, learner-centered and activity-based strategies to help you integrate Next Generation Science Standards into your everyday lessons. Marjorie starts by highlighting the three dimensions of NGSS and shows how to expertly access resources online, both on the NGSS website and a collection of resources she has put together over the years. One of the main focuses is on how to incorporate NGSS by teaching phenomena and following up with phenomena-anchored activities. Marjorie demonstrates dozens of real classroom “stations” that focus on phenomena and incorporate multiple standards at once. Another focus is on scientific modeling and investigative questions with numerous examples and resources that can be easily adapted in your current curriculum. Additionally, the course includes strategies on how to help your students have a classroom discussion to include scientific investigative questions, and come to a consensus as a group.
You will learn how to:
- Integrate the NGSS into your instruction without re-inventing your science program
- Navigate the three major components of the NGSS
- Efficiently and effective access numerous of online resources that provided by NGSS to simplify your transition to an NGSS-centered classroom
- Use phenomena-anchored activities in your classroom while covering multiple standards at once
- Continue to encourage creativity and invention with meaningful activities and project based learning that encourage collaboration
- Connect the NGSS to other learning goals that you already teach
- Encourage and strengthen science inquiry in your students through challenging and collaborative learning experiences
Watch an excerpt from this course:
Optional Brandman University Graduate Level Professional Development Credit course code: EDTU 9063
There are no reviews for this course at this time.