In this video-based online course, experienced national presenter and English teacher Mary Ellen Ledbetter demonstrates, with her own middle and high school students, a variety of practical and manageable strategies that help students extend and revise their writing, improve their grammar and writing mechanics, and increase the sophistication and style of their written work.
How can teachers actively help students strengthen the quality of their writing without becoming overwhelmed by towering stacks of to-be-read papers? The purpose of this course is to show classroom-proven techniques that maximize instructional time and minimize a classroom teacher’s paper load. All English/language arts educators – whether first-year teachers or veteran instructors – will find new, time-efficient strategies they can immediately implement in their own classrooms to improve their students’ writing.
You will learn how to:
- Boost each student’s writing competency with high-impact, student-interactive rubrics
- Design innovative writing practice activities that engage and benefit all your students
- Help students improve their grammar and language mechanics – and see results in their writing
- Establish peer editing routines that really work
- Decrease your paper load while actually assessing students’ writing more frequently
- Give students the literary tools they need in order to effectively edit and revise their writing
- Increase your students’ writing confidence, skills, and achievement
Watch an excerpt from this course:
"This descriptive writing course has opened my eyes to a whole new level of writing. The rubrics and ideas presented are extremely helpful."
- D. Rude
"I really found this course to be extremely valuable and helpful. I will definitely implement many of the strategies. "
- C. Duggan
"This was really outstanding. I have already written a new descriptive essay into my plans for next week"
- T. Fuller
"This course inspired me to enhance the way I teach writing. I will be able to incorporate the rubrics and resources immediately with my students. I am very excited to participate in this process. Furthermore I loved the way I can go in and out of the course at my own pace. I finished it within a week's time during chunks of time and it seemed to fly by while I was learning and recording my action plan. The note taking guide was so helpful to capture my thoughts during the video as well."
- D. Starr